Facebook profiles can now be turned into Facebook Pages.
Many businesses created Facebook accounts before Facebook created "Pages". This means that a number of businesses have "personal" Facebook accounts that they use to communicate with their clients and network. In the past, if these businesses wanted to create a Facebook Page they would risk losing a number of their fans because the old fans may not go through the extra step of "liking" the new Facebook Page.
Today Facebook launched a new migration tool that allows profile owners to convert their old Facebook Profile into a Facebook Page. In addition to the new tool, Facebook has launched an extensive help section that details why users may want to transition their profile.
How to start the transition
Reasons you might want to transition
- A page can have an unlimited number of fans, but a profile is limited to 5000 friends
- Pages make it easy to run promotions and contests
- Pages tie into Facebook's Advertising system so you can promote your Page with Facebook Ads
- Facebook Pages allow the owner to access analytics about how users are interacting with the page
- The Facebook API allows you to build or add applications to your Facebook Page
- You have more control over the user experience on a Page than on a standard Profile
- Pages can have multiple administrator accounts attached to them, allowing multiple people to manage the page instead of one
- Pages allow you to send updates to all of your fans, like a broadcasted email newsletter
- Pages tie into Facebook's location-based check-in system and profiles can't
- Pages can utilize Facebook's "Deals" functionality to offer special coupons and promotions to fans
This is, of course, and incomplete list of reasons why you should consider transitioning your Facebook Profile to a Page. Are you planning to make the switch? Leave a comment below and let us know. If you have a Facebook page, please share it in the comments. AGENCY 3.0 has a Facebook Page and we would be honored if you became a Fan.