- Email marketing is inexpensive - You don't have to pay for printing or postage when you are using email to communicate with prospects, the press or clients. Sure, you might have to pay a designer to help create a stellar design, but you don't need to pay printing costs for each run or pay for postage.
- Email marketing allows you to send highly targeted messages - Since you don't have to print individual pieces for each segment of your list, you can send highly targeted messages. Big companies like J.Crew send highly targeted messages to their subscribers - men get one promotion and women get another. You can also segment your list and send prospects one message while reserving other content for current clients.
- Email marketing integrates well with other marketing materials - You can easily customize the look and feel of an email newsletter so that it matches the aesthetic of your other marketing materials. You can leverage this design flexibility to extend your brand online. You can even create specific designs based on the season of the year, type of promotion you are offering, etc.
- Email marketing incorporates some viral marketing - When you send information via email the recipient can easily forward this information on to other people they know. If you send something via snail mail it's harder for people to share with more than one person. Emails can be forwarded on with ease and it something people are already doing.
- Email marketing helps you build ongoing relationships - you can stay in touch with past clients and share useful, fun, interesting information with them long after they have made a purchase from you. Email marketing can help turn one-time customers into repeat buyers.
This is a short list of ways email marketing can benefit your business. Are you using email to market your business online? If so, share your ideas in the comments below.